This grain topper turns plain grains into a yummier and more nutritious side dish. The topper can be used on any grain. The nutritional value of Brazil nuts, onions, and dates not only nourishes the body, but also nourishes the desire for very tasty food.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 2/3 cup Brazil nuts
- 2 large dried dates
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, cut into chunks
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, cut into pieces for processing
- 1/3 cup parsley
- In the food processor, process the Brazil nuts until they are small, but not ground. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Put the dates, mustard powder, salt, water and oil into the food processor and process until the dates start to stick to the sides of the processor. Add to the mixing bowl, but don’t mix.
- Put the onions and green onions into the food processor and process until the onions are chopped into small pieces. Add to the mixing bowl, but don’t mix.
- Chop the parsley by hand (for the exercise) and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well, making sure that the date mixture is mixed in well.
I stored the topper in the refrigerator and ate it the next day on toast. The onion has become sweeter over time, and the topper is really delicious!