This salad is somewhat like Tzatziki dip. The additions of pumpkin seeds and green onions up the salad’s nutritional value.
Makes 3 cups
(Change the amounts according to your taste. For example, I like onions, so I used 3 green onions.)
6-7 small cucumbers, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced (1/2 Tbsp)
2-3 green onions, chopped
3/4 tsp coarse salt
6 spearmint leaves, minced (1/2 Tbsp)
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (not from a plastic lemon or bottled lemon juice)
1/2 cup (150 gm) plain yogurt, at least 3% fat
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp green olives, chopped (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Let the salad sit for at least 1/2 hour so that the salt dissolves and the flavors mix.
- Low-fat yogurt is not satisfying to the body so don’t use it.
- Try not to use the large cucumbers. They aren’t as nutritious as the smaller ones.
- If you use the green olives, you can lower the amount of salt.
- If you like the crunchiness of the pumpkin seeds, add more.