I am in the process of working my way into eating vegan. It’s a process because I like eggs, mainly because they are quick to prepare and versatile. I asked Spirit for help with my transition, and I received this egg substitute recipe that was relatively quick to prepare and tasty–not amazingly tasty, but tasty enough to be included in Yumtritious Eating! I will be receiving more scramble recipes to help me with my move to veganism.
Makes 2 cups, 1 serving
1 tsp mustard
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp tahini paste (from whole sesame seeds is best)
1 small radish
1/3 cup red lentil flour
1 medium size or 2 small tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil, preferably cold pressed
Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix the mustard and water, then mix in the tahini paste.
- Dice the radish (equal to 3-4 Tbsp), then add it to the bowl and mix it in well.
- Add the red lentil flour to the bowl and mix it in well. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Dice the tomato (equal to 3/4-1 cup), then add it to the bowl and mix it in well.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. (Make sure the bottom of the skillet is completely covered by the oil because lentil flour can get stuck.)
- When the oil is hot, spread the mixture thinly in the skillet so that as much as possible is touching the skillet. Leave it to cook for 4 minutes.
- With a spatula, flip the mixture over and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and immediately scoop the mixture onto a plate.