Fried zucchini is often dipped in a horseradish sauce, but that combination is not so nutritious. In the recipe presented here, they are paired to create a nutritious and tasty side dish. The horseradish is not a typical ingredient in a zucchini dish, hence the name “mishmash”.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp horseradish root, peeled and chopped small
2 large zucchini, chopped (6 cups). Peel if you suspect chemical residues.
3/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- In a medium sized skillet or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion until softening.
- Add the chopped horseradish and saute until the onions are browning.
- Mix in the zucchini two cups at a time. Then add the salt and caraway seeds.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly brown.
- When the zucchini is the right texture for you, remove from heat. (I like the zucchini soft, but not mushy.)